Thursday, January 08, 2015

The Marionette maker

  I have always been fascinated by marionettes - and have a few which I have collected over the years.  They hang happily around my house and studio and I have an affinity with them and their characters.  The making of marionettes and puppets has also always beckoned so I decided to that now was the time to pursue the construction of this very complicated, multi faceted and dying art form.

There is a lot to learn - not just the stringing and movement but also the weighting of the marionettes.

I will document my attempts - they wont be great but I am determined that now is the best time to move forward .  In part it reflects my feelings about figures versus hangings somehow marionettes are considered more acceptable but to heck with that - I am just constructing because it has been a long time in my head to make one, two or maybe more.


So yesterday I set to the task and began the process - I love the body language posibilities this offers me - something which I have struggled with  with my figures- but something that I have consciously worked with - so far so good.

So hopefully today I will proceed with papier mache covering and possible stringing so she (??) can hang around too.

Thanks for the comments.- much appreciated.

Zaz;0)

1 Comments:

Blogger Boud said...

Have you ever read Britannia Mews by Margery Sharp? old fashioned novel, but there are characters who lovingly create and restore marionettes and present them in productions. You might like to read it if you can get hold of it. The writer had a good take on the magic of marionettes and how they take on a character.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home