Sunday, August 05, 2007

degree thoughts




I have started the degree course at Opus ..........at least I have started the 'summer work' - a sketchbook of thoughts and ideas based around 'The Senses'. Using set words such as luscious. tardy, sumptuous, tarnished etc ........the idea is maintain a sketchbook of thoughts on the subject.

Firstly though, I have been giving a lot of thought as to exactly what I what to gain from this course . I have been aware for a long time that I have become increasingly dissastisfied and irritated with the zap, burn and distress technique that has become synymous with embroidery during the last 10-15 years .
I trained as an embroiderer, I learned all the techniques that so epitomise English embroidery and I have stood in front on wonderful, fantastic embroideries that have literally taken my breath away with their stunning intricate work. And yet my own work is so far from this heritage that I am unsure as to where it came from or why it settled in my hands.

When I consider what it is I want to do, it is clearly this:



intricate embroidery - gold work - whitework- English embroidery - canvas work - silk embroidery, box construction........... all the types of embroidery that are so embedded in my culture and my roots that it is time for me to stop ignoring it and revisit it with a rekindled passion.

I have been reading this book 'Perfume' by Patrick Suskind - in this book, which is about the intricacies of smells and fragrances, he describes the overwhelming perfume of wood and how he almost becomes drowned in its smell ......................

That describes how I feel about my stitching, my embroidery and my art perfectly ........... I want to become drowned , immersed and totally engaged with my embroidery, with the smallest finest details, with the intricacies and intimacy of its stitches and its construction.

Does that sound like my work? does that sound like me ?? Far from it, but inside my head is this passionate embroiderer who has a desire to reach to the depths and roots of her culture and endeavour to examine if that exists or not.

so far I have looking at metal threads and their construction ..........trying to interpret the words for my summer sketchbook

no-one said this journey was going to be easy
Zaz;-)

11 Comments:

Blogger Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

A brilliant start on your journey Sara. You will enjoy "drowning" in your own work. Your summer sketchbook will be a sensual delight.
Best Wishes
Maggie

8:21 AM  
Blogger Annica said...

Easy? Probably not. But interesting and rewarding I'm sure.

Here's a
link for you!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Fabulous start Sara. The harder it is the more sense of achievement you will get from it.

Enjoy the journey.

3:00 AM  
Blogger Kentish Maid said...

I read you blog this morning, and I've been thinking about what you said all day - especially about zap, burn and distress techniques. It has always worried me that a lot of these techniques get used for their own sake, and not because they are the right thing to do for what you are trying to create. It does make it hard.
Good luck with the course - I look forward to seeing you progress

9:31 AM  
Blogger Digitalgran said...

Maggie took the words right out of my mouth Sara. I was going to write 'What a wonderful start' and there it was written by M.i can tell you are going to thoroughly enjoy this course and inspire us all at the same time.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Sue Krekorian said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Sue Krekorian said...

Why can't one edit one's comments without deleting them?! A rogue apostrophe crept in. I wanted to comment on your realisation of what you want to do and what excites you in stitch is maybe where the "tardy" element comes in - except the circle turns in its own time and you need to go all the steps of the way to complete that part of the journey. Much love.

3:45 PM  
Blogger FARBTUPFER said...

I think Annica said it exactly in the link she sent. And i am sure we will find our own way!

3:08 PM  
Blogger Susan Lenz said...

Hi!
I can relate to your post on so many levels. Your willingness to share your inner thoughts is a gift. The link Annica included is another one...reading this post and its comments has been quite rewarding. Thank you!
Susan

2:24 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

It looks like a fabulous start Sara and I know what you mean about wanting to drown in your own work. I've been away all week so haven't done much to my summer project but am hoping to catch up with a bit of "drowning" this week. I'm reading "Perfume" too... but I'm not enjoying it!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Lesley said...

I can only agree with everyone else's comments! You have made a fantastic start and I'm looking forward to following your journey :-)

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home