Tuesday, April 25, 2006

first day


had an absolutely fantastic day yesterday for my first day not doing a 'proper job' - for that, read loads of work , no money !

Made up another set of cushions - that now makes 4 sets in total but I have fabric ready dyed to carry on with this latest project.

Another idea of mine that is currently moving on is papier mache! This is something I used to do ..........and have to say, loved it ! I used to make hats with it but they were so hard - so understandably not a raging marketing success! But I also made bowls and stands and these two have stood the test of time!

Now if anyone thinks that papier mache is not durable I have to correct them! These two bowls have been with me now for over 10 years - survived numerous moves ............and countries - and the small mutli coloured one lived in my bathroom - steam and all!! Wonderful stuff - and is something I am re-visiting ..........................so on my fantasmagorical first day home I painted 7 bowls and have 3 more waiting in the paint department (thats actually Ulf, but paint department sounds grander)!

I also packed and listed 35 dolls and figures ready to be hung in the exhibition on Thursday - and today I must type up the list , my cv and put together the emergency kit for hanging ( that means fishing line, scissors,, needles, threads, hammer - get the picture?)

In the evening we had a meeting of http://www.vavkompaniet.se and I am beginning to feel a bit more like a member - I am now an official keyholder ! yoo hoo!

Now one thing that was mentioned at the meeting was the meaning of 'textile artist' - here in Sweden if you say you are a textile artist it means you weave ....................and I dont ..................at least , at the moment I dont ! But this is something I am going to to investigate- not the traditional over and under type weaving on a loom ( apologies to all my swedish friends and colleagues ;-)) but weaving like Roberta Furlanetto and her book 'Weave' is on my 'must buy soon ' list! - so weaving could yet be on the agenda! surprise surprise! :0)

So all in all a great start.............................. and wonderful not to be cleaning

Zaz;-)

6 Comments:

Blogger Sally Webster said...

Super Sara! Glad to hear you're enjoying your proper work. Money, who needs it?

12:47 AM  
Blogger Zaz said...

you're right!

managed one day without it anyway ;-)

1:29 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Yay! doing a happy dance for your huge creativity :) Do send pics of your dolls in exhibition won't you. The bods here want to see some pics :))

4:25 AM  
Blogger Zaz said...

ooh I will Helen Suzanne - now I have mastered the digital camera life is sooooo much easier!

6:49 AM  
Blogger Liz Plummer said...

How exciting Sara! Brill!!

That link to Roberta Furlanetto's homepage is very tantalizing... I want to know more!!

12:39 PM  
Blogger Lesley said...

Sara you rock! its fantastic to see how happy and productive you are while being unemployed :)

keep up the good work,

nah, make that Keep up the good art :)

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home