Sunday, March 05, 2006

monumental decisions


Having worked as an office cleaner now for one week , and after being told that the job was temporary and not permanent as I thought , I have been forced into rethinking my lifes strategy!

So I collected all my certificates together and put them on the table ..................a mixed bunch I can assure you - but I was sure the answer lay before me !

I have teaching certificates, embroidery certificates, certificates for being able to grow plants and look after grass, language certificates , a highly commended at being able to do magic with ties (dont ask ;-)) oh and dont foget the piano certificates and the one for ballet .................now only 42 years old! proof here


Now, presuming that there is no call for a 53 year old who trained as a ballet dancer 42 years ago - and can only just engage in point work - I sat and stared at the certificates and wondered what on earth I could do with this mish mash of educational nightmares.

Of course the answer shouted back but it takes me a lttle while for me to fall in.....................but in all honesty - the screamingly obviously thing I should be doing is teaching and embroidering. My first love - the embroidery - and my inherited talent , the teaching (thanks Dad!). So this was decided then - my lifes path - simple really -cant think why it took me so long to get to it!

So thats it - I have decided from now.............today...............this moment ..............I am an embroiderer. I am going to embroider and try to sell (fingers crossed), I will exhibit, teach, write articles and generally be a poor , starving artist - but at least , I will be happy and doing what I want to do!

I will no longer cleanoffices , shovel snow, shovel snow and clean offices..................I will no longer dig and fill in graves, I will no longer drive a tractor, lug heavy machines or service engines!

I may not have a reasonable income or any income at all, but at least I will have been truthful to myself ...........at last!

I am going to revisit work I did 20 years ago - where I left off - it is going to be a very interesting journey but this time it will have a more professional approach. I am going to do a course in running my own business with the local job centre. I will discover how to keep my own books and produce figures for the tax man.

Everything will be logged and costed....................and last of all I am not going to feel guilty that I do it !!!!! It will no longer be a 'hobby' it will be my work and my wage earner! It is up to me if I fail at this or make a success of it!

So..................here we are - pictures of work I used to sell ....................oh at least 10 years ago...............but they did sell!!!


I am expecting it to be a bumpy ride..........................but a ride is a ride ..............................'

Zaz ;-)

14 Comments:

Blogger Hashi said...

YOU. GO. GIRL!!!!!!
I love this! Please, please, keep us updated with your journey. You are an inspiration to us all.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Zaz said...

oh thanks for that ! I need a bit of encouragment ............ suddenly - no monthly salary , thats scary! But time comes when a girl has to do what a girl has to do!

I am sure you understand!

Sara

8:38 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

WOW sara!! fantastic, huge, wonderful leap. I'm so behind you on this. Yep scary ride but you'll thrive of it, you'll see :)weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

9:02 AM  
Blogger Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

Sara, Brilliant thinking, we are all here to support you. As they say when "the going gets tough the tough get going!" Well done.

Maggie H

9:14 AM  
Blogger Gill said...

Sara, when you put it like that...how could you ever think of doing anything else?! Go for it - with all your enthusiasm and such incredible talent, of course you will succeed!!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Digitalgran said...

Well Sara. Onwards and upwards now. That lovely work will sell you'll see. But I'm sure the experiences of your other jobs will stand you in good stead. It took guts and stamina to do those. You will need far less to take the new road, what you are doing now will be difficult perhaps but far more exciting and interesting. My very best wishes.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Sally Webster said...

Enjoy your bumpy ride Sara - what a fabulous decicion to have come to! I didn't become self employed until my forties and just love it. You can pile in the hours and dedication knowing you no-one is going to fire you ro bring in some 12 year old idiot to be your boss. Your certificate of which I am most envious is the magic with ties. Use it well.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Sue Krekorian said...

Wow, Sara, great thinking, brave woman: may the very best of good fortune go with you on this new journey. Noticed your maiden name on your ballet certificate: do you have Armenian blood by any chance?
We, the cognoscenti, know you are a very talented woman so nows the time to unleash it on the world!

2:23 AM  
Blogger Liz Plummer said...

Bravo, Sara!! Well done. I love those pics you have posted of your work. Keep going!!

6:31 AM  
Blogger rupr said...

Wonderful decision, I wish you to be succesfull.

12:25 PM  
Blogger artmixter said...

Oh, good for you. I wish you joy, luck and success. But above all, joy.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Kari said...

Woo-hoo - wonderful news, you are an inspiration - good luck!

kari x

6:32 AM  
Blogger Frances said...

good luck with your Journey Sara, beautiful embroideries,

11:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations !

this is such a big step. I am thrilled for you. Your life will be wonderful, as it is more truthful.

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home